Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tuesday with Tiff: 3 Reasons I Should Not Be Teaching Kids

3 Reasons Why You Should NOT be Teaching Kids
This is why I do not commit to teaching a children's class week to week.
As a children’s pastor, I love kids! I hope you do to. I love seeing them come to an understanding of scripture and the principles we are trying to communicate to them. And I love teaching them those principles.

But I came to a realization – I should not be the one teaching them those principles, or at least not on a week to week basis. Why? Well, it’s not about the teaching part, it’s about leadership. In fact, I DO encourage myself to teach the kids, I just don’t commit to a single class on a week to week basis.

Here’s why:
1. My role is primarily about adults, not kids. I should be primarily about connecting with staff, core leaders, team members and parents. And the larger the church, the more imperative this becomes. In my opinion, about 85% or more of my time should be spent in adult focused communication.

2. My role is about equipping others. As church leaders, Ephesians 4:12 is pretty clear about what our job is – to equip others to do the work of the ministry. If I am assuming the primary teaching role on a week to week basis, is the equipping part really happening?

3. My role is primarily about leading. If I tie myself up during a full service time on the weekend (and in many cases I’ve seen the children’s pastor tied up teaching during every service time), it limits my ability to lead effectively when my followers are actually there with me. So doing things like solving problems, making the necessary connections, evaluating ministry, etc., simply can’t happen very well.

What I recommend to children’s pastors, when it comes to teaching, is to rotate through all areas of your ministry. Every church is different when it comes to scheduling, but I will be in all the different areas at least once per quarter without committing to any single area each week. This will also allow me to model the vision in a hands on way. This allows myself the freedom to do the 3 things mentioned above. It also gives me another very important benefit – being in front of ALL the kids, not just a single age group. It accomplishes everything I should be accomplishing as a children’s pastor.

I love you all and it's an honor leading you.
Pastor Tiffany

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Tiffany, you are right on!

    Few churches understand the concept of Equipping and RAISING up leaders. This is part of why few churches grow. In fact 85% of churches are 150 people or less. Part of this reason is the "SUPER PASTOR" mentality, meaning the Pastor is the only one who can do anything.

    Ephesians 4:11-12 says the exact opposite.

    When we raise leaders, we all win. When we raise and elevate ourselves...we lose.

    Imagine where we would be if Jesus had the same attitude as many people... "I'm Jesus and I'm the only one who can spread the good news and tell the world about me".

    He didn't model that, in fact, He entrusted the future of the "church" to fisherman. A tax collector...people who didn't seem to be "right" for the job. Look where that got us!

    On top of that, He gave us the Holy Spirit.. all of us, not just Pastors...to equip us and empower us to do what He has asked.

    We must be clear on leadership. In fact, CLERGY and LAYMAN are 2 words you won't find in the bible. These are made up by man to try to separate who CAN and CAN'T "do the ministry".

    I'll stick with Ephesians 4:11-12.





    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Tiff, I think you are doing a great job. You know you're doing the right thing when the people that are following you are growing. Thank you for committing to US as we pour out to our future generation. You rock!

    Becca Sheets

    ReplyDelete